Wednesday, March 21, 2012

YYYYYYYYEEEEEEEESSSSSSSS!!!!!!!!

   I got in the pool for the first time Tuesday and did an hour of walking to start my fitness program and IT FELT GREAT on my knees and back!!!! It was the first time, other than coaching a softball or soccer game of Katie's, where I was actually moving most of the hour straight.
  
   I know I wasn't sprinting, but just the walking felt good and I'm excited about doing it again. I actually joked with Keri about going again this morning, but Wednesday morning isn't a normal day off for me. She has some doctor's appointments and test to do so I took a vacation day today, but looked at the pool schedule at the YMCA and I have figured out a three-day schedule I am going to start following. Of course, Tuesday from 7:45-8:45 a.m. will happen much every Tuesday. I'll actually start the week on Sunday mornings (pool open 8-11 a.m.) Probably try to get in first thing at 8, a good reason to get up and get going before church. The final day looks like Thursday nights 7:45-9 p.m. when I'm not covering a game.

   I know it doesn't sound like the most physical way to work out, but I'm over 400 pounds and, like I said last time, very limited stamina right now. It's baby steps as far as exercise, but better than none. I alternated from small strides and normal walking stride to vary the initial workout and went in four 15-minutes segments. The break between each segment wasn't a rest, but a moment to do 15-20 deep knee bends (getting into a baseball catcher's position) in the 3-foot end of the pool. I didn't count how many laps (technically half-laps to the 5-foot-5 water mark since I haven't learned how to walk underwater yet or about 13 yards in the 25-yard long four-lane pool.) My real goal will be to combine walking and swimming full 25-yard lengths within two months and, hopefully, swimming full lengths within four months. I was on the swim team in high school so I know what my workouts were like back then and will attempt to recreate those workouts from 38 years ago in the future. Something I could actually do the rest of my life, maybe even join the Cortland Masters Swim Team for the old folks. I think I could take those 60-70 year old guys someday. LOL! They are good!

    All I know is I was tired later in the day, but I also felt a new energy after the first day. It does feel weird when you first get out of the pool and your legs feel a lot heavier than they really are, but I'm sure that will pass with time also. All I know is I look forward to getting back in the pool soon and get into the regular pattern of working out.

    I wouldn't started doing this without Jenn's suggestion that we do something like this, even though we are states apart. Keri has been bugging me to do this and I should listen to her better also, but now there just seems to be a new purpose in trying all of this. Thanks Jenn for the suggestion and thanks Keri and Katie for also being my New York motivation.

    I guess that will do it for now, but I'll have more to say soon!

No comments:

Post a Comment